Fire in the Darkness Playtest

All other discussion.
Forum rules
Aim to be respectful. Debate is fine, but personal attacks are prohibited. Nothing illegal (but discussion of illegal activities is fine). Try to stay on topic. No spam. Have fun.

Fire in the Darkness Playtest

Postby thefirecracker » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Natalia's Mind

A message came today. I've been reassigned again after only 6 months here. I'm to accompany the King's third son, who's not in any particular favor, on an excursion of undetermined length. Reading between the lines it basically means, I'm an inconvenience to be shuffled off into an even darker corner. Sink or swim Natalia, we really don't care which. In some ways this is what I love, the opportunity for change, new experiences, and to prove I’m more than they think I am. I just wish it didn’t come with the spoonful of bitterness that is the reason why. I only hope the goddess has some broader plan for me than as a tool to complete a single task and then be forgotten.

Melikos has invited me to dinner, to meet my other companions for the trip. I was pleasantly surprised at the company I’ll be keeping. High ranking members from the warrior caste, intelligence, a priestess of Roheh, the captain of the ship we’ll be on and the prince himself give me some hope that we’re not being totally hung out to dry. I went to sleep with the knowledge that we’d leave as soon as the winds were favorable. I woke to find that there had been an assignation attempt on the prince. I arrived at his room with the forethought to see if the assigns spirit was still around to question. Unfortunately, it was not and my sleep addled mind didn’t think to get a read off the body until after it had been taken away. We were shuffled off to the ship shortly afterward anyway.

Once on the ship I had the presence of mind to check that our voyage would be safe. My reading stated that only the weather would be of concern. In general the reading was correct. I didn’t ask if the voyage would be pleasant, just safe. As it was, the prince and I were both pretty miserable. He apparently dislikes rain. I found out he travels with a cat and between the rain and the allergies it did cross my mind that maybe I really am just the goddess’s play thing. To top it all off everyone things I’m odd, due to my need to drink salt water. I could have been more subtle about it, so they wouldn’t have known, but I will be with them a while and if I end up needing care from them at some point it’s best they know.

I was pleasantly surprised when we docked in my hometown for a night. I didn’t think I’d see my family for a long time if ever again. I avoided Jose and the temple and enjoyed a heart warming evening with my parents. I think I’ll treasure the memories in the time to come.
thefirecracker

Re: Fire in the Darkness Playtest

Postby lord carnifex » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:48 am

Melikos's travelling journal [condensed]

The expedition to Quidi has begun, somewhat under bad portents. The eve of our departure saw an attempt on my life by an unnamed, unmarked assassin. His body now hangs from the wall until the ravens pick his flesh apart and his bones pile upon the ground. Since then, we have travelled down the coast, and have now reached Thar. The journey has been uneventful thus far, with little of danger save a storm. Captain Gorganthes is a skilled shipmaster, and we make good time. Currently we are overnighting in Thar. I have delivered the King's greetings to the rulers of Methar uneventfully. If the assassin hailed from this realm, its rulers now know that he was unsuccessful. I also employed a sell-sword: the Champion Traja, son of Brocas. Tomorrow we shall sail on.

Some thoughts on my traveling companions:

Secretary Lucian: A quiet man, keeps often to himself. Given his stature and position, he must be playing a deep game. Where his loyalties ultimately lie is an important question, but one not easily answered. Did my father place him here as a check upon me? Or is he here on behalf of the Empire?

Servant Melthame: A cousin and an old friend. She and I have had some adventures together as youths, and I'm glad to see her by my side again. She's as caustic and rubs as roughly as ever, but her skills are unquestionable. It was she who bound my wounds and purged the toxin of the midnight assassin, and I know that I can rely upon her. It is good to have a peer to be comfortable with.

Commander Chiron: An old soldier, and a steady one. He's shown himself ready and willing to protect, and demonstrates strength. As redoubtable fighter as he undoubtedly is, he seems to settle many issues by his carriage and the ensigns of his authority. He seems eager for the travelling, glad to have left his home.

Messenger Natalia: An odd one, touched somewhat by the gods. She supposedly is an apt oracle, but she's come to Kharis under disrepute. Why she is here with us, rather than delivering augurs to her devotees, I don't know. Still, I'm pleased that we have her here - it is well that one among us can receive Seshneweh's guidance. What dark cloud she labors under is something I must find out. As is the reason why she drinks saltwater and sneezes all the time. Thus far we have spoken little: she seems to spend her time as far away from my person as she can. Perhaps I can melt her resolve. We are, after all, kindred in devotion of a sort.

Guardian Lucen: A grim and dour warrior. He seems bored by the travels, and eager to bury his blade in flesh. As long as he can remain in kills and glory, I suspect he'll be content.

Guardian Trija: I know little of this one, but one I know has spoken well of him. He seeks to make a name for himself, and seems eager to get to it. For a young man away from the family and clan for the first time, he carries a fortune with him, yet demands a monthly maintenence. Still, I have promised him nothing else, so we shall see what he earns of his own accord.
lord carnifex

Postby lord carnifex » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:15 pm

From the traveling journal of Melikos [condensed]

I arrived in Monduhl today. Messenger to the King carrying my missive - a request for audience. Then to the Tracino house, where we've made our quarters. Intrigue in the night; someone presenting themselves as a merchant watching the house. He died before he could be questioned; must ask the warriors to keep them alive long enough to speak. Still, this isn't entirely without its gift. I can dangle this in front of our hosts: lack of hospitality, in danger since first night, no control of the citizenry. At the same time, the unknown force gets message "do not spy or interfere in my affairs." Still, too many questions: Who? Who from? Connected to assassin? Why? How can I turn this to my advantage?
Made my devotions and then went to secure warehouse. Good terms, but not as good as hoped. Must look into finding a new place as soon as possible. "Everyone has a secret. Find it and twist, and you'll twist the man," says grandmother. I need to find out who the players are, here, and how the pieces are arranged. "Twist the pieces, then twist the players, then the game comes together." Messenger Thalia has enlisted to help; her demeanor will help here, I hope. Traija chomping at the bit, wants to prove himself. I must find something for him to do, that will benefit our situation. Not good at deceit though, save him for straightforward tasks. Marcius seems more flexible, as long as we can keep him in check - mayabirds are caught through deftness, not strength.

Word of temple raid in the south - solving the problem might put me right with his royal majesty. Order of Orkellos would approve. Let us see how fast events in the city are progressing. Sorcerer to the East - outside my circle for the moment. First days yet.
lord carnifex

Postby thefirecracker » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Natalia’s Mind

No sooner did we get to our lodging and I was shown my room did my curse kick in. Hard core. I’m starting to get used to these washes of empathy but when they leave me screaming insensibly on the floor I’m left with an extra special bitter taste in my mouth. My traveling companions were understandably concerned. They found me a different room and Guardian Trija’s dog spent the evening with me. After I’d settled a bit I tried to discover what had happened in that room that set me off. The empathy is damn unspecific. Of course I knew the spell would be harder without being able to go there but my curiosity got the better of me. In keeping with the feel of the trip I botched the spell. I am embarrassed beyond words. So much for a fresh start. At this rate I’ll be lucky to survive the week.

I spent the next day at the local temple. It was comforting to me to be doing work I’m used to. I picked up on a little gossip too. Apparently, there is a sorcerer for the Rebellion god on the loose. I let the S. Melikos and the head C. Chiron know. Then I went out on the town to see what else I could pick up. I had a lively evening with a spirit in human form, but learned little else. I’ve asked S. Melikos if there is anything I should be looking particularly for. He wants the key players in the political and economic areas. Not a surprise, but a bit of a challenge. We’ll see if I can deliver.
thefirecracker

Return to General Discussion Open